Glistening Petals

Glistening Petals

Here we are at Day 8. With it being a Thursday, I was going to do that whole Throwback Thursday thing and put up an old photo. But my brain started to itch for me to try a trick that I haven’t tried before – focus stacking. I knew that I had to try this out on a flower, so off I went to a local florist to see what they had on hand. The moment I walked in, I saw this vibrant orange flower – which I have no idea what kind it is, but I knew I would be using it.

Focus stacking is taking multiple pictures of your subject, each time tweaking the focus a little bit and then stacking and combining all the focuses together. You start at the minimal focal distance, and snap off shots until you have a picture for every area of the subject in focus. From there, you edit each photo to your liking, and then let the computer do some of the work for you. There are a few programs out there that specialize in focus stacking, but I used Photoshop since I have it and it has a feature to do it. I wasn’t sure how it would turn out, and it took a little over 30 minutes to process, but I have to say I am incredibly amazed. It is definitely a style that I will be using more often.

I tried two different lenses. The first time I tried this, I used the Canon 50mm EF lens, and the results were decent. I was happy with it until I tried using the 24-70mm. Being an L series lens, the images with the 24-70 turned out a lot cleaner and sharper. It also has internal focus, which helped a lot with the stacking of the images since they were almost exactly aligned. I could go on for a while on how each one worked, so I am going to leave it at that.

I used my Canon 7D Mark 1 with a Canon 27-70 MM F4 L lens on a 17mm extension tube, at 70mm, shooting at 1/60, F5.6, with an ISO setting of 100. The flower was naturally lit by the sunlight coming in from my apartment window.

3 thoughts on “January 8 – Chuck

  1. It did and it didn’t. There was a lot of shots taken – over 100 – and then some time spent going through the all to see what groupings I liked the best and testing. In all, I ended up with 4 different versions, which works out to be close to 3 hours of post work – most of it though was waiting for the computer to respond.

    It is by far the most involved photo I have ever taken and the results made the time worth it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*
Website