For day 13, I had a little bit of time at lunch but wasn’t in the “venture out and try to find something” mood. One of the flowers that I bought last week was still alive and kicking, so I decided to try another macro shot. This time though, I wanted to get in closer to the droplets. I positioned the flower by the window with the sun blazing on it and using my reversed Minolta lens with the extension tubes, I set about getting today’s shot. By using a tripod I was able to get things into focus pretty easily and then get the shot I wanted. I tried a few different angles, but this was the one that worked out the best.
After work, I got into Lightroom and downloaded all the pictures to find that because of the deep reds in the flower, all the images were practically glowing. It was very harsh to look at and any detail was impossible to make out. I was just about to call it a bust and head out to get something else when in a last ditch effort I hit the Convert to Black and White button. Instantly the image completely changed. All the detail of the petals and the droplets came into view. There was a bit of tweaking – mostly in the blacks and contrast to bring in more depth (which is always the case when dealing with black and white). Once I was done, I was impressed with the results and very surprised on how much detail was getting lost in the madness of colour.
I used my Canon 7D Mark 1 with a Minolta 50mm lens on a reverse ring and extension tubes, shooting at 1/5, F22, with an ISO setting of 200. It was a sunny day when the shot was taken, and the flower was well lit.