Chip or Dale

Chip or Dale

Today marks 100 days posting a photo a day. I won’t lie, I am surprised that Jamie has lasted this long (and me). To celebrate, I had the idea that I would go out and track me down a hawk to make this a big triumphant day. But the hawks had a different plan for today, which I think is due to the fact that it was once again crazy windy out. If I were a hawk, there is no way I would be all “Hey, today seems like an awesome day for a flight”. I took a drive to see if I could see them flying in the area they tend to always be, but when I didn’t see any I thought I would instead head to the park and see what was out and about there.

Although it was still windy at the park, there were a good deal of birds out – mostly cardinals. Lately, when I have been venturing around birds with the car, I have felt obligated to feed them. I have a bag of seeds stashed in the trunk, and I feel that since they are doing me a favour, they should get a meal out of it. Once I pulled up to the spot, I got out and tossed a few handfuls of seeds around, and it wasn’t long before birds started to flock around. One bird in particular was not afraid of me at all, and was following me around. I grabbed a bunch of shots of him (or her) and I will say that he(or she) is adorable – just not chipmunk adorable.

It was shortly after I got to the park that this little guy poked his head out. I got excited for two reasons . One, to me this is a sign of spring. Unlike Toronto squirrels who seemed to have forgotten that they should be hibernating,  chipmunks are still all about missing the winter months. The second reason is, because I flipping love chipmunks. Every summer as a kid, we would go to my grandmas camp and with no electricity or any of our creature comforts, we had to find ways to entertain ourselves. One of these ways was to feed the chipmunks on the patio. Grandma and Papa always had a huge stash of peanuts and sunflower seeds. We would grab handfuls and scatter them out of the patio and wait for them to come fill their cheeks. After a while, we would then adventure to get them to eat out of our hands. I think at some point we went as far as trying to feed them mouth to mouth, but I can’t remember that exactly.

In my excitement to get a shot, I forgot to change any camera settings and since I was set up with a fast shutter speed, my ISO ended up being really high. That is ok though because I got the shot.

This was taken on my Canon 7D with the Sigma 80-400mm at 400mm, at 1/1000 of a second, F5.6, and in ISO of 1600. Today was a beautiful day temperature wise, but it was windy.

I also took some time to work on a logo to watermark my photos with. I did some base design on it and then Vahida helped me to fine tune it when she got home. I am pretty settled on it and happy, although there might be some minor tweaks in the days to come.

One thought on “April 10 – Chuck

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *