My friend challenged me to use something from my kitchen in a photo, and I’ve finally managed to take up said challenge.
I’ve always had a soft spot for the Resident Evil franchise, silly as it may be at points. It took the play styles of the Alone in the Dark series and brought it to the video game console world with a level of quality that really set the bar back in the 90’s. I like to think this shot as just a conceptual image depicting one of the many unsavoury things growing down in the labs of the sinister Umbrella corporation.
- Philodendron roots
- Macro lens
- Strobe with a Magsphere and green gel resting inside of a colander
- Strobe with a Magsnoot and yellow gel
- A cutout of the radioactive logo to put in front of my lens, changing what would normally be a spherical out of focus element into the shape of the radiation symbol.
I keep meaning to talk a bit more about the process of making custom aperture shapes, but don’t take enough example shots to fully convey what I’m going for, so once again I’ll hold off on that. The key takeaway from today’s post is that I am no longer obligated to figure out something to shoot using things from the kitchen, and that’s a relief.
I used my 90mm macro lens, shooting at 1/250 and f6.3, with an ISO of 100. I’m not sure the effect of the aperture in this instance, though. Given that the shape was of the cutout I had in front, I would take that to mean that the aperture was actually smaller than f6.3, since that’s what changed the out of focus elements. Another thing to note when playing around to explain that topic, I guess.