I tried a different approach to my macro rig in progress today, in hopes that it would offer some more stability. It is an improvement over the model I made yesterday, which was a drastic improvement over handheld, so I’m pleased so far. That said, there is still a fair amount of wobble with the flash, due mostly to the weight of the magbounce attachment. I may play with using the somewhat lighter magsphere tomorrow, but it would probably be in my best interest to get a lightweight softbox when all is said and done.
Still, the key thing is that it was working out well. It’s so much easier to work with, and I find I’m getting shots on the first few tries with a lot more frequency.
I spent some time this afternoon lurching around my front yard, to the confused looks of neighbours. Just another weirdo hunched over a flowerbed with a weird contraption. At least I don’t make much noise. At the end of the excursion (after watering the plants), this thing plopped down on a large leaf and chilled out for a bit, so I got three images and stacked them for this.
I took this with my 90mm macro lens, shooting three images as 1/40 and f29 with an ISO of 100. My flash was at around 1/16 or 1/8 power, so I was able to discharge it with all three shots in rapid succession. Gettin’ better!